The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

‘Lucky Stiff’ promises to be an ‘Ace’ of a play

Moriah Haynes, Staff Writer

Trinity Valley Community College’s Theatre Department is currently in production for their latest play, Lynn Ahrens “Lucky Stiff.”

Set in 1985, “Lucky Stiff” is a musical comedy about Harry Witherspoon–a poor shoe salesman who leads a horribly boring life. One day he gets a telegram that informs him that his rich Uncle Tony has died and that he is going to inherit his fortune. All he has to do is go to Monte Carlo and take his uncles body to complete his bucket-list. If he fails, then all of the money will go to the Universal Dog Home of Brooklyn–Uncle Tony’s favorite charity– or his uncles crazy ex.

Whitherspoon is played by Ashton Milton, a TVCC Theatre/Musical major. Milton has previously been in three Trinity Valley productions,”Little Shop of Horrors,” “Johnny Appleseed and Sally Ann,” and “The Secret Garden.”

Stalking Whitherspoon and hoping for his failure are several characters. Annabelle Glick (Laurel Holt), the owner of the dog home next in line to receive Uncle Tony’s fortune. Rita la Porta (Kim Templin), Uncle Tony’s mistress and the ex-wife of a mobster. She drags along her hapless brother Vincent di Ruzzio (Miller Motley). Other characters are the exuberant Italian Luigi Gaudi (Brandon Adair), and Diminique du Monaco (Miracle Lewis).

The show is based off of the obscure 1983 crime novel book “The Man who Broke the Bank At Monte Carlo” by Michael Butterworth. The shows music and lyrics are by Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens.

Stage manager/Assistant director Shaydi Paramore likens the show to the black-comedy film “Weekend at Bernies.”

This production is directed by TVCC’s Head of Performance Studies Director Craig Lee, who promises the show will delight all.

“This is one of the few farcical musicals…everyone has laughed and had a great time in rehearsal.”  Lee said.

Another interesting thing about the play is that several guest actors will be volunteering to be wheeled around as Uncle Tony’s corpse. One of these actors will be TVCC Choral director Michael Matchael, and our own president Glendon Forgey, who will play him on the Saturday night performance, Lee said.

“Lucky Stiff” will show at 7:30 p.m. April 7-9, with a matinee performance at 2:30 p.m. April 10 at TVCC’s auditorium.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• ‘Lucky Stiff’ promises to be an ‘Ace’ of a play

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States