The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

The 411 on the 211 Gallery

Cheryl Hicks is one of the co-op artist that gives lessons and studies at the 211 Art Gallery for the local community to be apart of.

Lace Donaghe, Photo Editor

Cheryl Hicks working on her newest edition of her art work that will soon be for the Athens community to view or buy.

The 211 Gallery is helping artists, who have not obtained mainstream exposure, to become established artists by given them a chance to enrich the Athens community by displaying their work in a local space.

The 211 is located in historic downtown Athens off Hwy 19, going toward Canton on the left-hand side, after town square.

The 211 gallery is open Thursdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

There is not an owner at 211; it’s a cooperative. The gallery was just a project that was created with the chance to provide a place for artists with notoriety and unique insights to display their work.

The 211 tries to help educate others about art through various programs. Christi Barrett, who has her work on display at the 211 Gallery, said the cooperative offers “…workshops, outreach, exhibits, and related educational programming in order to make the creative process available to those who might not otherwise have access to it.”

A nonprofit organization, the 211 depends on donations and artists’ fees to keep the gallery afloat.

“We hope to partner with other community venues to showcase local arts in a variety of locations,” Barrett said.

It is not only a gallery, but it’s also a studio. The front three rooms are gallery spaces that are rented out to artists who are interested in selling their work. Art in the gallery is changed quarterly. They rotate new art in and others out for ten weeks at a time.

The last two weeks of each quarter is open for shows and specialty events. Barrett said the next change-out deadline is Dec. 1.

The 211 also has monthly mini sales where smaller art pieces are sold for under $50.

The gallery also offers several community events throughout the year.

“I do workshops, one is a free children’s workshop for ages 5-12 where everything is provided, which I do monthly,” Barrett said. “The next one will be Dec. 8.”

Adults also have an opportunity to participate in a workshop hosted by the gallery.

“Monthly workshops for adults are also provided,” Barrett added. “The next one being Nov. 28. There will be a fee of $35 for the class with all supplies included.”

Semi-private classes are also available on Thursdays for $25 and all supplies are provided. To sign up for one of Barrett’s classes, contact her at 903-880-8346.

Cheryl Hicks, one of 211’s co-op artists, offers creative writing and mix-media classes on Wednesdays. To sign-up for one of Hicks’ classes, call her at the gallery at 903-292-1746.

In March, the 211 plans to host an art competition for local students. All of the winning art pieces will be displayed in the gallery for two weeks.

“This will give us a chance to help promote our local students and help them get more interested in art,” Barrett said. “It will also give us a chance to showcase local student talent.”

For more information about showing deadlines and other gallery events, contact the 211 Gallery at 903-292-1746.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• The 411 on the 211 Gallery

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

• The 411 on the 211 Gallery

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

• The 411 on the 211 Gallery

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

• The 411 on the 211 Gallery

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

• The 411 on the 211 Gallery

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

• The 411 on the 211 Gallery

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

• The 411 on the 211 Gallery

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States

The 411 on the 211 Gallery