The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

Hugh Jackman and the Future of the Wolverine

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Hanna Morton, Writer

The Wolverine has been one of the best known and most loved characters of the X-Men series for many people, but Hugh Jackman, the actor who has played the part of Logan, or the Wolverine, for the last 17 years, is talking about calling it quits.

The latest installment in the Wolverine saga, Logan, had consistently high reviews from several critics, many of them going so far as to say it was the best in the series and that it proves that spin-offs are better than the main series. It’s popularity is further proven by the $237.8 million it made worldwide during its opening weekend, with $83.5 million of that coming from the United States alone and making it the most lucrative of the spin-off trilogy.

Despite its popularity, however, this may actually be the last that we hear from the Wolverine saga, at least with Jackman playing the lead role. Over the last year, Jackman has made it very clear that he does not intend to continue playing the part of Logan and that the movie Logan was meant to be the series finale; providing closure, but remaining memorable.

He’s stated that there isn’t much more to say about Logan and he’s also dropped hints that he’s getting tired of the role and the rigorous lifestyle it demands of him. In order to maintain his rugged build, he has had to continuously diet and exercise, and considering that he has been playing the role for the last 17 years, you can’t really blame him for wanting a break.

However, this is not the first time that Jackman has spoken of quitting the role and some still believe that he may be coaxed back into the role eventually, given enough time and temptation. Only time will tell.

If he truly is quitting the role for good, there are three possible outcomes for the future of the Wolverine as a character. First, they will scrap it as a spin-off and remove it from the main series (if continued). Second, they will pull in a younger, male actor to take over the role. Or three, the producers will take advantage of an alternate reality within the X-Men universe and cast the new Wolverine as a woman.

The third option is, so far, the most popular and the most plausible considering how Logan ended. No spoilers though.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• Hugh Jackman and the Future of the Wolverine

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States