The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

Do you hear what I hear?

Santa Claus with checklist, portrait, close-up

Getty Images

Getty Images

Tyler Perkins, Writer

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening? In the lane, snow is glistening. Yes. It’s Christmas time for most people. But should it be?

In a poll done by ABC, 83 percent of Americans identify themselves as Christian. With this high number of “claimed Christians”, I thought it would be good to examine what we celebrate and why. Time to bring out the magnifying glass and see what is truth and what is “traditions of men“.

The Bible, aside from the birth of Jesus, never looks back or celebrates his birth. In fact the whole manger scene that we traditionally think of is false.

The Shepherds watching their sheep at night were visited by an angel to tell them of the birth of Jesus. Think though. Isn’t December a little cold to have your sheep in the field? Traditionally Shepherds keep their sheep out to graze in the summer and fall months and bring them in to keep them together and warm in the winter.

So Jesus most likely wasn’t born in December.

Now what about those three wise men we see in our manger scene? The Bible never mentions how many wise men there were at all. Only that there were men and not a single man. But think, if I were going to search and give gifts to a king wouldn’t I want more then three people?

Once again, we are adding words to the Bible.

Christmas trees and presents aren’t even mentioned in the Bible. But we put them in anyway. Most people defend the giving of wrapped gifts by saying that Jesus was a gift given to us and erecting a Christmas tree by saying that all creation is God’s.

It is!

But what does He think of it?

A similar thing happened during the Exodus. Moses had gone to talk with God for a while and the Israelites had worried that he was dead. So in short Aaron, their priest, decided to make an image of a calf made from gold to try to communicate with God. He even dedicates a feast or a festival to Him!

However, God saw this and was furious because they were doing something to Him in a way that He had warned them not to.

“Do not do what they do. Do not bow down to their gods or worship them. You must destroy the statues of their gods. You must break their sacred stones to pieces.” Exodus 23:24

“You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.” Exodus 20:4
So with this knowledge what point am I making?
Jesus was clear in his teachings that the traditions of men were wrong and that the Pharisee were so stuck on their own ways that they were missing God’s ways.
In no way am I saying that having a Christmas tree is wrong or giving presents is wrong. However, why do we even do it? It’s not about Jesus. If we try to make it about Jesus we are no better then the Israelites worshipping their golden calf. Just because we say “this is for the lord” doesn’t mean that it is or should be.
Dig in to the Word and do research for yourself. Scripture says that people will come from all the earth saying, surely our fathers have inherited lies. Scripture even talks about this fable we believe.  “And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.” 2 Timothy 4:4
As I stated at the beginning, 83 percent of Americans claim to be Christian. The average American household spends 929 dollars on Christmas this year. With this amount of money and percentage of Christians, shouldn’t we be doing something more in line with what the Bible taught?
“But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. ” 1 John 3:17-18
This time I challenge you to do your own research. Do we spend our money on a holiday that is no where to be found in the bible that glorifies oneself? Or do we do as the Bible teaches and reach out to others that need help more then we need another tie we will never use? I, for one, want to separate myself from the traditions I have inherited and get back to the Word of God, the Bible, as my sole authority for what I do.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• Do you hear what I hear?

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

• Do you hear what I hear?

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

• Do you hear what I hear?

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

• Do you hear what I hear?

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

• Do you hear what I hear?

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

• Do you hear what I hear?

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

• Do you hear what I hear?

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States

Do you hear what I hear?