The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

courtesy of Texas Cafe Athens on Facebook

Vince Tobin, Writer

Looking for local, high-quality food at an affordable price?

Athens, Texas’ very own Texas Cafe will surely not disappoint.

Texas Cafe specializes in American/Tex-Mex dishes that are sure to satisfy any southern craving. With a wide variety of breakfast, lunch, and dinner entrees from chicken fried steak to chalupas, customers can pick from over 50 different selections of fresh cooked meals.

Located on 412 South Palestine Street, just minutes away from the town square, Texas Cafe is in the heart of Athens.

In my own personal experience, I was hoping that this small building would be a diamond in the rough when it comes to locally-owned restaurants. Boy, was I right!

I arrived at the restaurant rather early; around 10:00 in the morning. There were only a few other people in the restaurant at the time so I was immediately seated at a booth.

The atmosphere in Texas Cafe was very homey and inviting. It was nice and quiet with only a television playing in the distance.

As soon as I was given my menu, I was shocked to see just how many choices there were. The fried catfish sandwich, Angus top sirloin steak, and chili cheeseburger made my mouth water just at the thought, and that was just the Texas Home Cooking page of the menu.

On the Tex-Mex Home Cooking page, there is everything a Mexican food lover could ask for; fajitas, tamales, burritos, chimichangas, and so much more.

Since it was still so early in the morning, the restaurant was only serving breakfast. This initially upset me until I saw that the breakfast menu was just as impressive.

There were plenty of specialty items like Enfrijoladas and the Western Omelets, but I decided to go with a more standard breakfast; two scrambled eggs, bacon, home fries, and toast.

My food arrived in less than 10 minutes and it looked incredible. The eggs were fluffy with tons of flavor and even had a hint of lemon juice with a decorative lemon sitting on top.

The bacon was my favorite part of the entire meal. It was sizzling, greasy, thick, and the first thing to disappear from my plate.

The most flavorful item on my plate was definitely the home fries; buttered, salted, and mixed with grilled red and green bell peppers.

The toast wasn’t very impressive. It was very dry and was your typical store-bought bread. This was the only setback from dubbing this as an absolute flawless breakfast.

Another aspect to appreciate of Texas Cafe is the price of the food. My fresh, not frozen meal was $6.75. People will spend around the same amount at a fast food chain with nowhere near the taste and quality.

Overall, I would give my experience a 9 out of 10. The food was amazing, the staff was non-invasive and friendly, and the price was a steal.

I’m not the only one who seems to enjoy Texas Cafe, as it holds a 4.9 of 5 stars on Facebook reviews. Michelle Garcia reviewed Texas Cafe on Facebook, “The food is so amazing and everything is made from scratch…”

Texas Cafe is open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, and 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sundays. The restaurant also has a breakfast buffet on Saturdays and Sundays from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

• Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

• Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

• Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

• Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

• Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States

• Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

New Stories

Questions on Clinton

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure