The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

Gone fishin’

Mr. Mahdavi, Tyler Gilbert, Damali Kindred, John Monning: Biology II class fish dissection

Samantha Tolon

Samantha Tolon

Samantha Tolon, Student Writer

fishcutting

Two of Mr. Mahdavi’s biology students (Left: John Monning; Right: Tyler Gilbert ) helping him dissect the catfish.

fishhead

Mr. Mahdavi holding the catfish head after dissection. (In background: Matthew Trantham)

At the Terrell campus Mr. Mahdavi’s Bioligy II classes have been learning about the anatomy of humans and animals. They have been able to have hands on dissections to gain real world knowledge versus only reading about it in books.

Before spring break Mr. Mahdavi asked students to venture out and go fishing in order to catch a fish and bring it into his class for dissection. He encouraged the students to bring as big of a fish as possible for a better look at the anatomy of the fish they brought.

What Mahdavi didn’t know was that one student, Tyler Gilbert, would surpass all the others by bringing a fish big enough to feed the whole class if it had been cooked! He brought in a catfish that was the length of a yard stick and weighed thirty-one pounds.

With a fish this big Mr. Mahdavi was very excited to get right into the lab to show his students just what makes a fish tick.

Aside from the fishy smells during class, many of the students found the dissection very interesting; so much so that 2 of his students dove right in to help. (As pictured above)

When we think of dissecting animals some of us quiver in disgust, but in Mr. Mahdavi’s class he uses this time to make it a very fun and memorable learning experience for all of his students.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• Gone fishin’

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

• Gone fishin’

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

• Gone fishin’

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

• Gone fishin’

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

• Gone fishin’

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

• Gone fishin’

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

• Gone fishin’

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States

Gone fishin’