The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

The Cardinal’s Determination for Success

Courtesy of Mark Meredith

Courtesy of Mark Meredith

Gloria Rivera, Staff Writer

A dynamic team and new head coach, the Trinity Valley Community College men’s basketball team are the ones to watch this season.

Coach Furr replaced Kris Baumann, who is now coaching at the University of Texas El Paso, as head coach. Before his promotion Furr served as assistant coach. This will be his 15th year coaching for the Cardinals; a team he is very proud of.

Although his promotion involves a slight change in responsibilities, he does not plan on making any major changes.

“Continue tradition that’s been here in the past,” said Furr when asked what he planned to do for the season. “We’ve always had good teams and good players.”

The Cardinals are currently ranked third in the nation. The rankings are based on the previous season but the players are confident that they can supersede these expectations.

Sophomore Devante Jackson was out the previous season due to an injury but is ready to hit the court with an ambitious attitude.

“I expect us to go undefeated this season,” Jackson said. “I do not expect a loss; I expect everybody to play good.”

He was not the only one on the team to have this goal in mind.

The players have a good attitude for the season. Its what makes them unique. The determination that they have for the game is a constant, no matter who they play for, they always give it their best shot.

The dynamic the team has this season is a mix of tradition and innovation.

According to freshman forward Amanze Njoku-ibe the dynamic of the team relies on the ability to work together.

A consistent trait the team has is the ability to learn and guide each other throughout the season. While the leadership changes as players enter or leave the team, the players still take away the importance of teamwork.

“Especially the [sophomore] players I play the same position as, I look up to them and they teach me and we go hard everyday,” said Njoku-ibe when asked about the roles of leadership.

When asked the same question on leadership; freshman center Jaime Echenique said that one always learns from the other players. [Learning the dynamic and sense of aggressiveness other players have is contagious and makes me also want to have that same attitude] translated quote Echenique said.

The team this season is comprised of seven sophomores and six freshmen. All who have trained hard to be where they are now.

A glimpse of what to expect as described by freshman forward Jaquan Lightfoot from Brooklyn, NY.

“Our style of play is going to be different because we all have different styles. So from last year it was basically all in touch with each other. Now we all have different styles so it should be way better this year.”

The team’s style and soul is what make this season so unique. The character and personality that each player has, make up the team’s dynamic in a positive manner; whether it comes from being the self proclaimed jokester of the team or a player already committed to a four-year university.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• The Cardinal’s Determination for Success

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States