The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

An Overview of 2017 and the Gaming Industry

from+www.nintendo.com%2Fswitch%2F
from www.nintendo.com/switch/

from www.nintendo.com/switch/

from www.nintendo.com/switch/

Hanna Morton, Writer

After the beginning of another year has rolled around, those involved in the creation of our favorite entertainment often make a show of promises, reveals, and releases, while “experts” start gossiping and speculating about what may or may not be given to us this year. The gaming industry has not been a stranger of this type of chatter so far…however, we’ll stick with what we know is set in stone.

In the way of consoles, Nintendo is coming out with the Nintendo Switch, which involves a tablet-like console, a docking station to power the console, and the two piece controller called a “Joy-Con.” The controller pieces can be attached to either side of the console, put together as a single controller, or removed and used to create a multiplayer system. It was revealed in October of last year and is due to release in March, with a game selection ranging from action RPGs like the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to sandbox games like Minecraft.

As for Microsoft, they are planning on unveiling their new Project Scorpio in June at E3, or Electronic Entertainment Expo, a trade fair that acts as the Comic Con of the gaming industry. They announced the idea at last year’s expo and have advertised it as the “most powerful console ever”, with 4k resolution, massive storage space, and a phenomenal increase in speed and performance (compared to the original Xbox One anyhow) through an 8-core APU and 6 teraflops.

It is said that Project Scorpio will be compatible with current Xbox One games as well as Virtual Reality gear, which Microsoft is also working on developing. Rumors are that it may be released during the holiday season later this year.

And as for this year’s games, we have quite an extensive collection. Some of the most talked about so far in the way of sequels include Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Mass Effect: Andromeda, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and Halo Wars 2. Some new titles that are not part of existing series include Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, Vampyr, and Absolver.

In terms of most popular, the PS4 game Horizon Zero Dawn seems to take the cake so far as internet chatter goes. It is an action role-playing game that was developed by Guerrilla Games, the father of the Killzone series, and has already been released.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• An Overview of 2017 and the Gaming Industry

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States