The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

Celebrating Record Store Day

Shaydi

Shaydi

Shaydi Paramore, Staff Writer

Collecting records can become an art, but it starts with knowing how to create your record collection. With the help of Record Store Day, this Saturday, you may be able to pick up tons of exclusive releases to start off an awesome collection that will slowly grow.

Let me start by explaining how important Record Store Day can be for a collector or someone thinking about starting a record collection.

Record Store Day is an annual event held on the third Saturday of April each year. Founded in 2007 by record store lovers, the day celebrates the culture of the local record stores.

The day brings together fans, artists, avid vinyl collectors and thousands of independent record stores across the United States. Numerous records are pressed specifically for Record Store Day disturbed at participating shops.

Exclusive releases this year includes music from artists like: David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Metallica, Johnny Cash, Madonna, Patti Smith, and the Doors.

First thing to remember is vinyl isn’t like your iPod that you’ve had for years, you can’t just pick it up and listen to endless music. What you find on this 10 to 12 inch fine-grooved disc is what you get, so be wise with what you buy. Buy artists and bands you love most and can listen on repeat.

Raid your parents’ basement and look for your grandparents collections.  If it wasn’t for my grandfather’s collection, I would have never grown a love for Johnny Cash records.

With Record Store Day, the focus isn’t on buying records but buying records from local family owned businesses. So when looking for vinyl to buy, shop around little mom-and-pop record stores and you may found some treasures. Other than family-owned businesses, sites like Amazon, Half-Price Books, and Bandcamp are all great places to find and buy vinyl by your favorite artist.

Collecting records can start for many reasons: maybe you found some of your grandfather’s treasure and decided to let it live on, maybe you’re just trying to be “hip” with the kids, or you want to expand your love of music to another level.

At the end of the day, as long as you keep in mind how beautiful vinyl is and how fun it is to find hidden treasures, your collection will continue to grow each day.

On Saturday, check out these awesome places: Josey Records & Music, Good Records, CD Universe, and Bill’s Records

Happy Record Store Day!

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• Celebrating Record Store Day

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

• Celebrating Record Store Day

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

• Celebrating Record Store Day

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

• Celebrating Record Store Day

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

• Celebrating Record Store Day

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

• Celebrating Record Store Day

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

• Celebrating Record Store Day

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States

Celebrating Record Store Day