The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

State Fair: The fried-food Capital of Texas

Fried+Cookie+Dough-A+Popular+food+at+the+Texas+State+Fair%2C+and+my+personal+favorite.+
Fried Cookie Dough-A Popular food at the Texas State Fair, and my personal favorite.

Carley Shultz, Staff Writer

Fair time means fried food, fun rides, family-friendly shows, and yeah, more fried food.

Last month, I made my annual trip to the fried-food capital of Texas, the Texas State Fair in Dallas. As usual, I walked right past all the games and rides and made my way straight to the fried-food vendors.

I was instantly overwhelmed with all the options, so I played it safe by first enjoying a funnel cake, because you just can’t go to the fair without eating one. And I got sprinkles on top for good measure.

After walking around a bit, I decided to try my next fried treat. While it was a hard choice, I decided on a fried s’more and a fried Ding Dong. As I bit into what I thought was the s’more, it was apparent they had gotten my order wrong. It was fried pumpkin pie.

After one bite of the pumpkin pie I was finished. It reminded me of baby food rolled in graham crackers; I was not a fan. The fried Ding Dong definitely won that duel between the two. It tasted like a freshly baked chocolate cake inside a sugary, golden shell.

While I was enjoying my fried food, I looked around to see what other people had gotten to eat.  I already had overdone my grease intake for the day, but when I saw the fried cookie dough I knew I couldn’t leave without trying it.

After waiting in line for fifteen minutes, I finally had my hands on a fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich and for desert: fried cookie dough.

I had high hopes for my sandwich, but I was really disappointed in its lack of tastiness.  I was expecting a golden-flaky-fried coating on the outside of the sandwich, but it was more like a soggy peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

On the other hand, though, the fried cookie dough exceeded my expectations, and it was a great way to end my fried-food marathon.

I had to use a fork to tackle this one because of its large size. It was the perfect combination of a warm crust and some gooey cookie dough in the middle, topped with powdered sugar and chocolate sauce. I really don’t see how you can go wrong there.

This year’s Big Tex Choice for the best tasting fair food was deep-fried jambalaya, and the award for most creative was the fried bacon cinnamon roll.

Picnic on a stick, chicken fried cactus bites and deep-fried divine chocolate tres leches cake were some other top Big Tex award contenders this year.

A few other popular foods I saw while walking around were fried pecan pie, fried red velvet cupcakes and fried Twinkies.

While my hunt for the best foods consumed most of my time, I did enjoy a few other fun things at the fair: One of those being the butterfly exhibit at the Texas Discovery Gardens.

In the butterfly exhibit, they had a natural environment where you can see hundreds of different types of butterflies. One of my favorite parts was an area where you could see them in the chrysalis stage. I even saw some coming out of their chrysalis for the first time.

I ate enough fried food to keep my palate satisfied for a year. I can’t wait to see what will be the top fried foods at next year’s state fair.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• State Fair: The fried-food Capital of Texas

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States