The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

The truth hurts, so look in the mirror

News-Journal staff

Interracial couple holding hands

Joshua Roberts, Staff Writer

I recently read an article about a couple being banned from a church in Kentucky because they were an interracial couple. Look people, the last time I checked, it is 2012 and this is America. People can be with and do whatever they like. I mean, the President of the United States is bi-racial.

So, what really is people’s beef?

Love makes you do dumb things. Love is this or that. These are sayings you hear all the time when someone is talking about their relationship, but the truth is, love isn’t the problem.  The problem is human beings and their inability to be real about a relationship and life in general. Shouldn’t it be human nature to care about others? Society shouldn’t dictate who we can love.

I have friends of all races but to tell them that they don’t have the right to be in love, or worship the way they want is absolutely foolish. After all, love is blind. You can’t help who you fall in love with.

Instead of focusing on racial stereotypes, we should look at one, another and say it’s time to be one and get more accomplished. Let me talk about that for just a second.

Stereotype one: Most people think that blacks, as a whole, have gotten lazy and taken the easy way out, and just blamed others for things that happened more than 300 years ago.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m no dummy. I know racism is still around. But as a whole, we need to stop blaming other people for our problems and get out there and push our way to the top. Nothing in life worth having is going to come easy.

Stereotype two: Most white people underestimate the amount of racism that really exists. What is the fear most whites have? Maybe it’s because they feel as if they are becoming the minority in this country.

My point is, it’s not a threat to your “American” way of life to have a minority in a position of power, or as a member of your family.

Americans have forgotten the importance of life, liberty and the true pursuit of happiness. As a whole, we have forgotten what this country was built on. It’s sad but I need to ask: Was the unity that we, as a country, had after 9/11 just publicity to show the world that we can get along?

At the end of the day, we really can’t stand each other. The fact that an interracial couple wanting to get married is still an issue is absolutely out of line. It’s time that we take heed to what is happening around us and really come together as —”One Nation under GOD…”

Before we blame others, we need to take a good look in the mirror.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• The truth hurts, so look in the mirror

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

New Stories

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States

The truth hurts, so look in the mirror