The news site of Trinity Valley Community College.

The News-Journal

Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States

Vince Tobin, Writer

courtesy of The Trump Organization (@trump on Instagram)

(courtesy of The Trump Organization – @trump on Instagram)

The entire world was wide awake early Wednesday morning when billionaire businessman Donald J. Trump defied the odds and was elected the 45th President of the United States.

courtesy of Donald Trump Jr. (@donaldjtrumpjr on Instagram)

The Trump Campaign watch as election unfolds. (courtesy of Donald Trump Jr. – @donaldjtrumpjr on Instagram)

Around 3:00 am on Wednesday, November 9, the election was called after an intense battle for the state of Pennsylvania that would secure Trump’s 270 electoral votes and a victory over former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Clinton was widely expected to become the nation’s next president with some polls showing that the candidate had as much as a 90% chance of winning. However, since the beginning of this political season, Trump has proven to be capable of surpassing even a politically experienced candidate.

Donald Trump announces his candidacy for President of the United States. (courtesy of Donald J. Trump on Facebook)

Trump picture posted on Election Day (courtesy of Donald J. Trump - @realdonaldtrump on Instagram)

Trump picture posted on Election Day (courtesy of Donald J. Trump – @realdonaldtrump on Instagram)

Trump announced his candidacy on June 16, 2015. Since that day, Trump has been anything but your typical presidential candidate.

In January of 2016, Trump explicitly said that he is not a politically correct candidate. With political incorrectness, unconventional performances at debates, and a vision for America, Donald Trump ensured his Republican Party nomination, and has ultimately landed himself a seat in the Oval Office.

Throughout his campaign, Trump focused mainly on fair trade, creating jobs, reducing illegal immigration, and combating the growing threat of terrorism. He also regularly addressed the threat of corrupt politicians and rigged elections.

Repealing and replacing Obamacare, draining the swamp of corrupt politicians in Washington D.C., building a wall on the U.S.-Mexican border, and enforcing a form of “extreme vetting” on Muslims entering the country are some of Trump’s key proposals as president.

Although these are very anti-democratic views that could possibly bring about a major political change in this country, and many democrats are infuriated with the results of the election, Democratic President Barack Obama said to the nation, “Now, everybody is sad when their side loses an election. But the day after, we have to remember that we’re actually all on one team. This is an intramural scrimmage. We’re not Democrats first. We’re not Republicans first. We are Americans first. We are patriots first.”

President-elect Trump visited President Obama on Thursday, November 10 at the White House to discuss a proper and successful transition of power. Trump will be officially sworn in as President at the presidential inauguration ceremony scheduled for noon on January 20, 2017 at the U.S. Capitol.

• Arts & Entertainment

TVCC Art Students Win U.T. Tyler Art Scholarships

• Donald Trump – 45th President of the United States

Editorials

How to Identify Reliable News

• Holiday Stories

Valentine’s Day from Florists’ Perspective

Arts & Entertainment

Offensive Threats of Super Bowl 51

Climate Change

Climate Change: A Real Threat

New Stories

Small Town Meth Invasion

• Campus News

TVCC Cardinal Grill

New Stories

Texas Cafe: A Local Treasure

Editorials

Student Letters to the Future President

New Stories

Questions on Clinton